Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #142] Remove performInteraction() ?

Currently the consumer will only initiate a non-blocking interaction if the
developer constructs a non-blocking action URL and writes it to a markup
fragment. Unless I'm missing something, this means the API and Portlet
developers can ignore the extra protocol complexity.

One possibility is that a renderURL used as a html FORM target url gets
translated to a performInteraction by the consumer. Then we would need to
expose the non-blocking case to the developer or, say, make input available
in the JSR 168 render(). This then seems to be my main remaining use case
for non-blocking actions: indicating redirect and mode and other state
changes are not possible at the consumer while posting data.

regards,
Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: Subbu Allamaraju [mailto:subbu@bea.com]
Sent: 13 February 2003 19:14
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #142] Remove
performInteraction() ?

Andre Kramer wrote:
> Portlet developers need not see perform(non-blocking)Interaction (as in
JSR
> 168). One thing we can't do with render URLs / getMarkup is post form
data.
> Or have complex inputs generally, which seems a bit of a hole in our 2 op
> model.

I'm not sure if portlet developers won't be required to see this.
Irrespective of the programming model used (JSR168 or something else), I
think portlet developers will have to be aware of
blocking-vs-nonblocking semantics, and declare if a portlet is capable
of non-blocking interactions or not. Don't you think so?

Regards,
Subbu