Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #138] Transferring information toproxied resources

Mike, see comments below. Hope I understood all your questions.

regards,
Andre
 -----Original Message-----
From: Michael Freedman [mailto:Michael.Freedman@oracle.com]
Sent: 13 February 2003 19:58
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

There are a couple of problems with what you suggest:
      a) cookies use isn't limited to session identification.  Cookies are also used to hold state rather then ids.
[Andre Kramer] The WS-I basic profile says that cookies must be opaque to the consumer so they really are more likely ids if we conform.

      b) if you are suggesting that the producer only URL encode the session when using a resourceURL then the solution suffers from not being able to restablish a session that timeouts before the resource is activated.  Basically, J2EE doesn't prevent you from carrying the session ID in both cookies and URLs -- it isn't designed that way -- rather its designed to work using one method or the other consistently.
[Andre Kramer]  Yes, resource URLs for timed out sessions would fail to get the session data. We are back in the Web world. One can configure session timeout to be something sensible?

      c) if you are suggesting the producer session encode via the URL vs. cookies for all support then the solution suffers from not being able to establish the ID in a load balanced environment.  WSRP only provides such support for cookies.
[Andre Kramer] No, hope I'm not. But one can session encode the *same* id as carried in the JSESSIONID cookie. Note, this is not encodeURL from the Servlet API, only something like it.

As for your suggestion that the producer has access to the userContext and Template data via the session I see a couple of problems:
      a) first, I added this change request for those portlets that don't use sessions [i.e. are stateless].  We shouldn't require a portlet use sessions merely to attain access to this information as we don't in our regular interactions.
[Andre Kramer] In my opinion, the case where there is no producer session and the producer has not indicated templatesStoredInSession is outside of our wsrp spec. Just normal Web URLs & resources.

      b) second, doesn't the "I store this information in session" pertain to the portlet session not the producer/cookie session?  I recall we discussed at one point that a conequence of optimizing the producer so that it used cookie session INSTEAD of portlet sessions is that such information wouldn't be cached [in session].  Did we change the meaning of this to mean either the portlet session or the cookie session?  If not, those producers coded run optimized in consumers wouldn't have access to this information even if they used cookies/sessions.
[Andre Kramer] At the f2f,  we added a invalidSession fault that allows a http session based producer to require stached data be re-sent. [This was missing even for Portlet sessions.] The commentary on invalidCookie also asks a consumer to re-sent data so (hopefully sensible) consumers will not get a double fault.

       -Mike-

Andre Kramer wrote:
Do we really need to forward cookies from the consumer? The Servlet API has
a method to encode the session identifier in URLs (note: other means for
tracking a session may be in place). Why not encode the JSESSIONID in the
resource URL? Implementations can then convert this value to a cookie and
forward the http request locally (producer side, with JSESSION cookie set,
sort of like a reverse Web proxy).

[This encodes a random identifier in the URL and so does not leak sensitive
information, if that was a concern.]

We already have PortletDescription.userContextStoredInSession and
PortletDescription.templatesStoredInSession so a producer already has all
the machinery to:

1) reference a session from a resource URL
2) inject the session ID into the load balancing
3) make sure the session is provisioned with WSRP data

Therefore I don't think we need add anything.

Also, what about direct URL requests from the Web browser? Should they not
be able to reference the producer session data also? The above scheme would
work for both Web user agent and consumer resource requests (and even
re-directs).

regards,
Andre