Subject: Re: [wsrp][interfaces] separate administration interface, requirements

Alejandro - in principle I agree with the requirements. Here are my
comments (I modified your wording):

[R-##1] WSRP SHOULD allow portlets to administer portlet
configuration and settings.

Your original wording sounds to me as if the WSRP interface needs to supply
some additional mechanism for this administration. I believe that it could
also be achieved by letting the portlet display
administration/configuration screens and/or use the get/setProperties
mechanism.

[R-##2]
I don't see the point behind this requirement. Can you detail?

[R-##3] WSRP MAY provide a mean to describe the configuration and
setting attributes of a portlet as metadata.

These attributes can also be discovered at runtime and change dynamically.
Why would they need to be exposed as metadata.

[R-##4]

Agreed.

[R-##5] WSRP SHOULD NOT require a portlet to be displayed by a consumer
in order to be administered.

The current concept uses the template for this purpose. So maybe this
fulfills the requirement. However the template would have to be
instantiated and displayed. But that's not the portlet itself.

[R-##6]

Agreed.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Alejandro        |
|         |           Abdelnur         |
|         |           <alejandro.abdeln|
|         |           ur@sun.com>      |
|         |           06/11/2002 01:38 |
|         |           Alejandro        |
|         |           Abdelnur         |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [wsrp][interfaces] separate administration interface, requirements                                                          |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

As promised, I've compiled a list of requirements on this matter. Please
let me know of any corrections/additions.

Regards.

Alejandro

* Definitions for the purposes of the requirements that follow:

'Configuration and settings' of a portlet are attributes that act as
parameters for the behavior or functionality of a portlet. For example,
a NewsPortlet could be configured to display sport news from Europe.

'Personalization' of a portlet is when users customize the configuration
and settings of a portlet for themselves.

'Administration' of a portlet is when users customize the configuration
and settings of a portlet for users other than themselves.

* Requirements:

[R-##1] WSRP SHOULD provide a mechanism for administering portlet
configuration and settings.

[R-##2] WSRP SHOULD NOT assume that administration of portlet
configuration an settings is dependent on any particular UI framework.

[R-##3] WSRP SHOULD provide a mean to describe the configuration and
setting attributes of a portlet as metadata.

[R-##4] WSRP SHOULD NOT impose a specific configuration and settings
attributes data model on the producer.

[R-##5] WSRP SHOULD NOT require a portlet to be displayed by a consumer
in order to be administered.

[R-##6] WSRP SHOULD allow different security requirements for
administration and personalization functions.