Subject: Re: [wsrp] Issue #31: handleEvent or handleEvents?

As promised on the last conference call, I have drafted changes to various places in the current draft of the spec that reflect the guidelines reviewed during that call. For reference sake, those guidelines are:
  1. Portlets are loosely coupled components integrated onto the page by the Consumer.
  2. Events are independent notifications that something has occurred, which receiving portlets may use to impact their state.
  3. There are times when a Consumer will care what failures have occurred (e.g. for retry purposes).
  4. Portlets should be able to indicate they also care about event processing failures.

I have uploaded the proposed changes to http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp/wsrp-coord/download.php/11928/handleEvents.doc. Mostly this is language that tries to reflect the guidelines into the text while changing handleEvent into a bulk operation. There is a note in the section for defining an event Portlets would use to send failure information back to the Consumer concerning Subbu's proposal to carry equivalent information in a field. I see positives to both ways of carrying the information and therefore drafted this alternative so as to prompt discussion of which method is preferred.

I would also note that some of the discussion could become quite a bit easier if we adopt Yossi's proposal (CR311) to use the term "event driven portal application" to describe what WSRP eventing enables (i.e. carry that terminology to other places in the spec than just what CR311 proposes).

Rich

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

03/07/05 11:08 AM

wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
Re: [wsrp] Issue #31: handleEvent or handleEvents?

I was expecting to get back to your proposal as part of discussing solutions. Since I saw the discussion fragmenting into various viewpoints with different underlying assumptions, I thought it appropriate to step back and clarify the eventing framework before discussing possible solutions. Hopefully that will make the solution discussion less fragmented.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

03/07/05 09:33 AM

wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
Re: [wsrp] Issue #31: handleEvent or handleEvents?

I prefer a bulk operation for events, since it allows consumers to be
more efficient.

On 11/01/04, I started a thread on error handling issues and posted a
proposal. Here is the link:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp/wsrp-coord/document.php?document_id=9885