wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Interesting article this morning...

> 	On a related note, let us forge ahead and do the right thing. In
> the long term, a specification that adds value to the web services eco
> system will be our best reply to all the doubts raised by others.

On that note, I just worked out the right analogy.

Before DNS was introduced there was a file called the hosts.txt file that
circulated amongst the sysops. The hosts.txt file provided the same basic
service as DNS, binding a host name to an IP address.

Of course it was clear to everyone that the hosts.txt file mechanism would
eventually become unmaintainable, even if the Internet grew to include only
the universities. But the initial lack of DNS did not delay the introduction
of the Internet.

What we are talking about with WSDL as solutions that allow Web services to
be deployed on a very large scale. Sure we will eventually need them, but
until they are available we can use manual configuration to achieve the same
effect.

Of course having spent the past days trying to deal with all this stuff I
still haven't got round to doing what I had intended to do and send a not to
QoP to point out that we have to consider more than just WS-Security, we
need to consider SecureConversation and Key Agreement issues.

Hmm shades of the IETF SNMP/MIB discussions...

We could end up being up to our ears in process if we are not carefull on
this one.

		Phill