wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Action item : Move Consolidated Issue 24-25 to list

Hi all,

On this topic, had conversations today regarding XrML, now renamed
REL with the XrML people. Also spoke to Anthony Nadalin on this action
item.

As a result I think we now have a clearer idea of how the tokens fit in.
In particular we considered the following design goals.

1. The security tokens may fill different roles
   *	A Kerberos token provides services for authentication and
confidentiality,
	namely a derrived key.
   *	An X.509 certificate may either provide an authentication or
	a confidentiality service with respect to a particular message
(if the
	signing public key is the encryption public key something wierd
is
	happening.
   *	A SAML token may provide an Authentication service or an
Authorization
	service (lumping Attribute and Authz assertions together, it is
input
	to an Authorization process in both cases
   *	An XrML/REL token provides an Authorization function

2. Eliminate unnecessary path discovery
	A particular WS-Security message may have several tokens, say a
	Kerb ticket for authentication, an XrML token, plus a few SAML
	Attribute statements. In cases where the application generating
	the message knows how these relate the relationship should be
	preserved wherever possible.

	In other words we don't want to have fuzzy chaining code being
	required.

3. Avoid multiple options for placing the tokens.
	The verification code should not need 6 code paths for playing
	hunt the security token

4. Avoid repeated placement of the tokens
	Should not need to repeat a Kerb ticket in the encryption
	and signature header.

In addition we observed the following:

* It is realy authentication, not proof of possession
* The KeyInfo element defines a mechanism for linking to a security
	token by reference.

So the proposal is to modify the profiles to consider the following
possible uses:

1 Derriving Confidentiality Key Information
	For X509 this is specified by XEncryption
		[Except that the token should be referenced using the
		retrieval info pointer]
	For Kerberos this may need some extra info

2 Derriving Authentication Key Information
	For X509 this is as specified in XML Signature
		[Except that the token should be referenced using the
		retrieval info pointer]
	For Kerberos this may need some extra info
	For SAML this is specified in the SAML documents

3 Derriving Authorization Data (Decisions, Policy, Attributes)
	There is a fuzzy line here, any system that can specify any
one of these can be used to specify all three, even though the issues
are actually different.

	SAML and XrML can both be used to specify this type of
information.
	In the case of SAML it would be Auth Decision and Attribute
	Assertions.

	Since management of the Authorization information is always
policy driven and can always be overriden in practice by the enforcement
point the specs here need to be worded accordingly.

			Phill