wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Issues and proposed edits to X509 'Whatever' document

Agreed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip H. Griffin [mailto:phil.griffin@asn-1.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 11:08 AM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: 'wss@lists.oasis-open.org'

Phill,

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

>So far few changes due to complete lack of comments. I do not propose
>cycle the draft until after the title vote result is announced.
>
>Issue

snip

>[X2] Line 94
>	Should we add in options for other X.509/PKIX data structures?
>	E.g. OCSP token, CRL, attribute certificate?

Take a look at the post Monica made recently for an XCBFSecurityToken.
ASN.1 encoded objects are not only binary. They can be presented as both
binary or XML.

Considering the earlier discussions surrounding PKCS #7 types. I believe

that
the best approach would be to have not a binary token, but an ASN.1 (or
perhaps for the benefit of the likes of Kerberos) or "Foreign" token
that could
carry Base64 armored binary objects or ASN.1 objects encoded as in XCBF
using the XML Encoding Rules.

This approach if properly generalized (not without limit) would
eliminate the
need for more and more WSS or private token formats.

Phil