wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Current user-name password construction requires plain textpassw ord at server

> good point. let's call the inner hash the shared secret.
> given that are we assuming that the authentication interfaces
> provide access to the shared secret for the purpose of computing
> and thus verifying the keyed mac?

This is a good point I had forgotten. The use of a keyed MAC presumes a
shared secret.

What I have seen in various LDAP products is that there is a password
attribute which is part of the standard schema. It is intended for
authentication of access to LDAP, but many organizations use it for
authentication to other systems, such as web servers. Some products store
the clear password, most store a hash, but different algorithms are used.
Some provide a choice of clear or one or more hash schemes. A few products
do not permit any value to be retrieved, even by a privileged user. They
only thingthey will do is check if a presented password is correct and log
the user into LDAP.

In general, environments that only permit checking and not retrieval will be
unable to use a hashed MAC. I don't really see what the WSS TC can do about
this, as a keyed MAC is an attractively efficient alternative to a PK
signature.

Hal