wss message

Subject: [wss] Making a spec a "committee" spec

I promised on the call today that I would do some research into what it takes to make a document a "committee" spec. I realize that some of you are already quite familiar with this process but for those who are not or who have not to date studied this part of the process (myself included), the (simple) steps are articulated in the OASIS TC Process document at [1]

Hal raised the fair point today that he would like to see us make the "interop draft" a "committee" spec and in principle I think this sounds reasonable. However, I do have a concern that the OASIS TC process, again at [1], contains the phrase "Upon complettion of a specification the TC may approve the work as a Committee Specification". I will observe that we will not be at the point where we view the specification as complete when we prepare to do the interop testing as the whole point of that testing is to find out where we need to fix the spec.

Open to suggestions here, but perhaps the right thing to do is to apply the same voting rules as for a committee spec, namely at least 2/3 of the voting members in favor and less than 1/4 of the voting members against. What do people think ? Hal any comments - are you ok with my proposal ?

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml#approval_spec

Cheers
Kelvin