wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] What is a "Security Token"

At 03:06 PM 2/21/2003, Hal Lockhart wrote:
I agree that the current spec is broken. I suspect we need two collective terms: one for all the different kinds of elements that can go in a Security Header and one for things that contain claims.

However, I think you are misinterpreting the idea of a claim. Saying "Joe is an Admin" or "this is the public key of an authorized purchaing agent of GM" are claims.

Certainly these are claims, but in the context of a SOAP message they are relatively uninteresting unless there is an additional claim that Joe or the the authorized purchasing agent has some relationship to the message.

These are gathered into Tokens and signed by an Authority that asserts them to be facts.

My reading would be that "Authority asserts ... ". Where the ellipsis are the claims of the signed element. It is the signature itself that carries that claim.

What the signature does is not make a claim, but bind the claim to a message allowing us to verify that the claims apply to the orginator of some message.

I don't understand the phrase "bind the claim to a message".

I'll assume by "message" you mean whatever part of the SOAP message has been signed. As I understand the word "bind" it means something like "fill in a part of a phrase", or "specify the referent of a reference". It only makes sense to talk about binding to something with a gap to be filled in. The SOAP Body (say) doesn't have a gap to fill.  What would have a gap to be filled in is an assertion like "the signer is the originator of the body" with the entity that did the signing.

So as I see it the claim is "Joe originated the body".

All the above relates to signatures where it is reasonable to talk about claims. The situation is even murkier when we look at encryption.

 I think this is a reasonable distinction which we should preserve, but I agree it would be useful to have a term that encompasses the superset.

The distinction I think is important is between the elements (such as signatures and encryptions and SecurityTokenReferences) whose meaning we define, and the "security tokens" that might or might not carry claims themselves.  Nothing in the core document depends on whether they do.

Hal