wss message

Subject: Fw: [wss] Issue: replay attacks & timestamp

Forwarding for Rich...

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624
----- Forwarded by Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM on 06/13/2003 04:22 PM
-----

Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
06/13/2003 04:18 PM

Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS
cc

Subject
Re: [wss] Issue: replay attacks & timestamp

{Until my membership/list status is cleared up, I would appreciate it if
you could forward this for me... thanks.}

Traditionally replay has meant an adversary re-submitting a valid
message to the intended recipient. Nonces and timestamps and (in the
classic Kerberos phrasing) "loosely synchronized clocks" are the
conventional way to prevent replay.

It has not been taken to mean someone taking a message and sending it to
a different recipient.  I think misdirection might be a better term,
since it also covers the case where the message *only* goes to the wrong
recipient.  Particularly in a distributed system, wrong-recipient-B may
have no way of knowing if proper-recipient-A ever saw the signature or
not.

Misdirection hasn't been addressed very much.  For example, while S/MIME
and its predecessors originated in the early 90's (RFC 1847, RFC 2311,
etc), it was only in in June 2001 that Don Davis pointed out some
problems; cf http://world.std.com/~dtd/sign_encrypt/summary.html
Encryption is the conventional way to prevent misdirection. If the
message must remain in the clear, then it seems like an encrypted
signature would be appropriate.  Failing that, Chris's concerns about
SOAP role (actor), and the preference to use WS-Addressing if available,
seem right on the mark; "+1" as they say.
                 /r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com