wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Re: Decrypting intermediaries

Tony - We were instructed by the committee to include text on the topic.

The text doesn't actually specify any behaviour.  It merely reminds the
reader that there is an issue concerning what a decrypting intermediary
should do with the forwarded message.  All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Nadalin [mailto:drsecure@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 11:54 PM
To: 'WS-Security'
Subject: [wss] Re: Decrypting intermediaries

Tim,

I'm not sure the purpose of this text, what are you trying to clarify, as
I'm not sure we should be defining intermediary behavior here, this seems
more like something WS-I should be doing.

Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122

|         |           Tim Moses        |
|         |           <tim.moses@entrus|
|         |           t.com>           |
|         |           08/13/2003 07:44 |

---------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "'WS-Security'"
<wss@lists.oasis-open.org>

  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Decrypting intermediaries

---------------------------------------------------------------------|

Tony - Hal and I have discussed the question of decrypting intermediaries
and come up with the following text.

Parts of a SOAP message may be encrypted in such a way that they can be
decrypted by an intermediary that is targeted by one of the SOAP headers.
In this case, the intermediary MAY leave the original <xenc:EncryptedData>
element in the message when forwarding it, or it MAY substitute the
corresponding plaintext.  This choice SHOULD be determined by out-of-band
agreement.

This text should go at the end of para 9.3.2 of "WSS:SOAP Message
Security-15".

All the best.  Tim.

Tim Moses
613.270.3183

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wss/members/leave_workgroup.php