wss message

Subject: Format of wsse:Embedded

During a recent discussion with involving some members of WS-I, an issue arose related to the format of the wsse:Embedded element. Please note that I do not represent WS-I.

It is unclear what is expected to be contained in this element. In the case of an X.509 certificate, it could be the base64 encoded certificate as child text, or it could be a wsse:BinarySecurityToken containing the certificate.

I am not sure what the WSS TC intends for the content of this. The WS-I may decide to include a statement in its profile of statement to the effect that any token that appears within an wsse:Embedded element should be in the same format that it would if it were a child of wsse:Security (in the example above that would mean the wsse:Embedded would contain a wsse:BinarySecurityToken which would contain the X.509 certificate).

It would be helpful if we knew whether this ambiguity was intentional or whether the WSS TC intends to constrain in some way the format of the wsse:Embedded element.

Thanks,
Mike