wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] HMAC Key Derivation in UsernameToken Profile Issue

Anthony, Team,

My 2 cents...We should address this issue in WSS-TC as there is already a precedent (WSE 2.0 Tech Preview) and is one of the first stumbling blocks a customer would face when doing an interop. A customer will find that 2 toolkits claiming to support the same version of the WSS spec and profiles from OASIS will NOT work out of the box and the customer will find out that he needs to request information from the Vendors about not just WSS spec compliance, but also WS-I BSP compliance which will reduce the importance of this spec.

thanks,
dims

PS: FYI, i ran into this in may of last year, see attached email on how difficult it was to get details if the spec is not complete.

From: Anthony Nadalin [mailto:drsecure@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 9:12 PM
To: wss@lists.oasis-open.org

> What do others think? I still feel strongly that this issue is a bane on interoperability for the Username Token profile.

It seems like this would be best handled by the WS-I BSP since there are many different mechanisms that could be used. Now is the prime time
to bring this up since we are in early phase of the BSP.

Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122

--- Begin Message ---
Title: RE: Sigining using UsernameToken in ws-security

WSE 1.0 doesn't do either Trust or SecureConversation. WSE 2.0 uses the
definition from Trust and is the version you should build against for
interop purposes.