wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] the saml token profile depends on non-global attributes in key identifier/wsse schema does not support keyIdentifier element extensibility

The have historically been problems mixing content type.  This is
currently a simple type and it sounds like SAML needs a complex type.  I
think that in this case it might be advantageous to separate them.
Maybe we should think about a KeyReference in V1.1 which SAML and others
could use to specify more structured types of references?  Thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Monzillo [mailto:Ronald.Monzillo@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 1:37 PM
To: Chris Kaler
Cc: wss@lists.oasis-open.org; Levinson, Richard
Subject: Re: [wss] the saml token profile depends on non-global
attributes in key identifier/wsse schema does not support keyIdentifier
element extensibility

Chris Kaler wrote:

>Sorry, I mis-read as attributes.
>
>For this case why not just define a new SAMLKeyIdentifier element which
>has the specific content you need and parallel what DSig did for X.509?

I think that would work, but I would prefer to be able to work within
the
existing alternatives of direct reference and key identifier.

Perhaps the element you suggest could extend keyIdentifier, although I
have seen recommendations that advocate that extensibility
by derivation be applied to abstract as apposed to concrete types.

What do you think ofthe following

* A key identifier reference - a generic element (i.e.
<wsse:KeyIdentifier>) that conveys a security token identifier as a
<wsse:EncodedString> and indicates in its attributes (as necessary) the
key identifier type (i.e. the <wsse:ValueType>), the identifier encoding

type (i.e. the <wsse:EncodingType>), and any other parameters necessary
to reference the security token.

When a key identifier is used to reference a SAML assertion, the key
identifier MUST contain as its element value the corresponding
<saml:AssertionID>. The key identifier MUST also contain a
<wsse:ValueType> attribute and the value of this attribute MUST be the
wsse:KeyIdentifier/@ValueType from Table 2. When the
<wsse:EncodingType>xsi:string. attribute is not specified, the element
value of the key identifier MUST be encoded as

When a key identifier is used to reference a SAML Assertion that MUST be

acquired from an assertion authority, a <saml:AuthorityBinding> element
MUST be contained in the <wsse:SecurityTokenReference> element
containing the key identifier. The contents of the
<saml:AuthorityBinding> element MUST be as defined in SAMLCore
<#saml_core>.