wss message

Subject: result of vote on WSS -- TC action required

WSS TC members:

The ballot for approving the WSS specification as an OASIS Standard has
closed. There were sufficient affirmative ballots to approve the
specification (77, or 22%), but there was also a single negative ballot.

Because there was a negative ballot, action is required by the TC within
30 days:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standard

"If at the end of the voting period at least 15 percent of the voting
membership has voted to approve the proposed standard, then if no votes
have been cast to disapprove the proposed standard, it shall become an
OASIS Standard immediately following the end of the voting period.
However, if negative votes amounting to less than 15 percent of the
voting membership have been cast, the TC will be notified of the
negative votes, after which the TC shall have 30 days to take one of the
following actions by resolution: (a) request OASIS TC Administration to
approve the specification as submitted despite the negative votes; (b)
withdraw the submission entirely; or (c) submit an amended
specification, in which case the amended submission shall be considered
as if it were a new submission, except that information regarding
previous votes and any disposition of comments received in previous
votes shall accompany the amended submission."

To help you make the decision on how to handle the negative ballot, I am
passing on to you the comments that I solicited from the person who cast
that ballot:

-----------
WS-Security uses URIs for the value of type attribute, e.g. ValueType
attribute and EncodingType attribute. But in the proposed specification,
there is no statement of unabbreviated URIs and the description of the
URIs is ambiguous. This might cause a serious interoperability problem.
The URIs should be clearly specified in the specification.

regards,
Matsuki Yoshino
Hitachi Ltd.,

I will announce to the OASIS membership that the approval of the WSS
specification is pending your decision. I expect to hear back from you
within 30 days. Notification to me by the chair of a majority decision
of the TC is sufficient.

-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org