wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Groups - oasis-xxxxx-wss-kerberos-token-profile-1.0.pdf uploaded

Hi, I have some feedback/comments on this document.

Line 6 - Kerberos written as Kerboer (typo ?)

Line 14 & Line 47 - In one case (line 14) it says "..how to use Kerberos
[Kerb] tickets.." and in the other case (line 47) it says "..the use of
Kerberos [Kerb] tokens..". This is confusing for Kerberos people because
the word token normally refers to GSS tokens, so we need to make it 100%
clear in this document whether we are referring to Kerberos tickets, or
GSS tokens, or WSS tokens with Kerberos, or something else ?  In any
case the document needs to make consistent references to the term
'token' and 'ticket'

Is it possible to use WSS with GSS-API message protection rather than
coding Kerberos ticket requests at a low level using a vendor
proprietary Kerberos API ? I assume not because the document doesn't
mention GSS in any way - does the WSS TC plan to create a new draft that
covers use of GSS with WSS ?

Line 51 - another reference to 'Kerberos tokens' ? Should this say
something like "Kerberos tickets" instead ? At the moment it is very
confusing referring to tokens without making this clearer.

General comment/question - are there any plans to prepare a use cases
document, or technical overview to explain how WSS/Kerberos can, and
should be used ?

References to Kerberos - Should rfc1510bis (aka Kerberos clarifications)
be mentioned, or is this document exclusively concerning rfc1510 ? If
so, then DES cipher suites are only type that can be supported by this
profile. I am sure many implementers will want to use RC4, AES, 3DES
etc. instead of 56bit DES. Also, I may have missed it, but I didn't see
any reference to cipher suites that can/should/must be used in this
document - is this written elsewhere ?

Table between lines 95 and 96 - it is not clear to me why you would want
to transfer a TGT in a SOAP message ? Normally TGT's are issued for a
particular client/workstation/system and contain an ip address so that
they cannot be copied onto another system and used (identify hijacking
!). So, how/why do you want to transmit a Kerberos 5 TGT ?

Line 96-97 - How do I carry GSS-API tokens instead of Kerberos tickets ?
A GSS token would normally contain a Kerberos service ticket and
possibly forwarded TGT (if applicable).

Line 100- reference is made to a Kerberos token again. This is confusing
to me and others. Does it mean Kerberos ticket ?

Line 185 - surely a ticket is not used as a key ? It would be a key
within the ticket that would be used ? This is not clear in this
sentence. Line 187-188 make it clearer, but I think 185 needs changing.

Line 190 - Similar issue with the reference to Kerberos ticket. It
should be consistent with suggested changes to line 185.

Line 195-197 - What are these error codes ? Are they Kerberos error
codes ? If so they should be codes defined in IETF
specifications/drafts.

Line 201-204 - Surely replay attack etc. are already catered for when
using Kerberos, so there is no need to add any WSS specific measures ?

Line 205 - Why sign a Kerberos ticket ? What value does this add to that
already provided in Kerberos protocol ?

Regards,
Tim.