wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Comments on SAML Token Profile

It appears to me that the WS-Security core spec is loose
enough to accept both your interpretation and the interpretation
that is in the SAML Token Profile spec. Lines 305-308 show
the use of a "custom token" where the particular token
has a wsu:ID that is referenced by the STR that has only
a URI attribute.

I think it is reasonable to consider a SAML Assertion to
be a "custom token" in this sense, with the exception that
the SAML Assertion does not allow the wsu:Id attribute.

As such, the SAML Token profile has chosen to take advantage
of the ValueType attribute which states "... specifications
for individual token types MAY define specific processing
rules and semantics around the value of the URI and how it
SHALL be interpreted.". (lines 705-707)

It would seem reasonable to me that when a recipient encounters
a token with a particular ValueType that the recipient would
know whether or not it contains the facilities for processing
such a token. In the case of the SAML Assertion, the processing
facility would seem to be little more than applying the same
technique used to establish wsu:Id as an ID type attribute, i.e.
to establish the AssertionID as an ID type attribute, as well,
when dereferencing the URI with the SAML ValueType.

If we were to take the "strict interpretation" then XML tokens
would be divided into two classes: those that allow wsu:Id attr
and can be peers of other tokens in the Security header and
those that don't, which would have to reside one level lower.

Possibly, the authors of the clauses that we are citing could
weigh in and help us resolve the interpretations.

	Rich Levinson
	Netegrity