wss message

Subject: RE: Are XML Attachments Opaque or Not?

Frederick -

I am thinking of it from an implementation and use-case point of view. I
believe there is significant value in the ability to sign or encrypt a
subdocument of a SOAP attachment where the attachment is XML. The case I am
thinking of is where the attachment is a long piece of XML with only some
private portions.

That being said, if we are not addressing (providing) a way to perform this
type of action explicitly in the profile at this time, we should make a
stand in the profile and say that we are not defining this mechanism. Like
you said, you may be able to do it, but it may not be interoperable. A
future version of the SwA profile may address this.

All I want is some clarity, and this means a sentence like the following:

"This profile does not consider further XML Security mechanisms within an
XML attachment, such as encryption, signing, or other operations like
Canonical XML. This profile considers all attachments as opaque whether they
are XML or some other content type. It is the sole responsibility of the
application to perform further interpretation of attachments that happen to
be XML."

Right now it feels like we're leaving an option here that may be bad for
interoperability unless we define exactly how such a mechanism would work.

Blake Dournaee
Senior Security Architect
Sarvega, Inc.