wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] What is a GSS wrapped Kerberos v5 AP-REQ?

I agree with Prateek that GSS_Wrap (a message protection operation,
applied once a GSS security context has been established) doesn't appear
to be the intent here.  Instead, I believe the phrase "GSS wrapped" is
being used to describe the GSS-API token framing (used to tag an
enclosed token with an identifier in order to indicate a particular
mechanism), as defined in the GSS-API RFCs and restated in RFC-1964,
Sec. 1.1 and its successor RFC-4121, Sec. 4.1.

--jl

-----Original Message-----
From: Prateek Mishra [mailto:prateek.mishra@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:52 AM
To: wss@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Pratik Datta
Subject: [wss] What is a GSS wrapped Kerberos v5 AP-REQ?

The phrase "2005xx-wss-kerberos-token-profile-
A GSS wrapped Kerberos v5 AP-REQ as
defined in the GSSAPI specification." is used in the kerberos profile
draft.

However, no reference is provided to support this term. I was not able
to find a reference in the discussion trail either.

Is RFC 1964 meant here?

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1964.html

RFC 1964 describes a GSS_wrap method BUT I do not believe its use is
meant here. This method is typically used to transmit data securely
between client and server once a security context is established.

The informal sense of this phrase suggests successful completion
gss_init_sec_context() method, followed by use of the resulting security

context object. If this is what was intended, we need to either point to

a definition or provide one.

- prateek