Subject: RE: [xacml] [glossary] Second Comments

Hal,

>last touched in 1996, which is a long time in this industry, so I think we
>should feel free to use its good ideas and reject other terms. For
example,
>10181-3 uses ADF and AEF which have since been replaced (in the IETF and
>OASIS) by PDP and PEP respectively. It also uses the rather cumbersome
terms
>ACI and ADI in place of what we are calling evidence.

I completely agree with you. I just wanted to say that 10181-3 is a good
place
to start and nice to understand their notions. But if their definitions are
out
of date, we should reject it and create a new one. That's why I did not
claim
using anything about ACI and ADI terms. :-)

>of the identity of a system entity. What I proposed in the previous
concall
>was that we consider using Principal to refer to the abstract entity that
is
>authenticated and Subject to represent the information used to identify or
>describe the principal. If this suggestion is not accepted, I suggest we
>drop one term and use the other exclusively.

Is it ok to understand that "Principal" means Initiator or Requester, and
"Subject" refers to a description about the principal written in the
authorization policy rule such as "people who belongs to a manager role."
If so, I have no problem with that definition.

>I have proposed Target as the target of the policy. This goes to my notion
>that there are some set of fields that can be used in a very direct way,
>with minimal processing to establish which policies apply before
evaluating
>the policies (rules). I am confident that Target will include Resource, it
>might also include Action, Resource Attributes or other things. I think
the
>decision of which things will constitute the Target is an important one
that
>requires considerable thought and debate. It is even possible that the
>constituents of the Target could be specified by the meta-policy, although
>am not advocating that. For now, I propose to define Target in this was as
>an empty bucket and decide what goes into the bucket later.

You are saying that "there are some set of fields that can be used in a
very
direct way, with minimal processing to establish which policies apply
before
evaluating the policies (rules)." I cannot see the relation between the
Target
and your description above but the way you use the Target sounds different
from what I expect. It might confuse people who are familiar with usual
meaning
of the Target (that is the Resource). Isn't it your option to use a term
other
than the Target for your case?

>I have no problem with this, except I consider Clearance just one of many
>subject attributes  which are not separately defined. If we want to go
this
>route, I think we need to defined a generalized set of semantics around
>Clearances, Labels and Actions, including strength ordering, read-down,
>write-up, etc. I for one am not convinced the value of such a model is
worth
>the trouble, but I do not object if somebody else wants to do the work.

I was just wondering whether there was any discussion on those terms or
not.
Since we have the attribute, we will not need to use the clearance as a
different
term. But I think in XACML glossary, it could be nice to add a description
something like the clearance can be represented as one of the subject
attribute
in XACML.

regards,
Michiharu Kudo