Subject: Re: [xacml] Background

Tim,

here are two more references on research related to the multi-policy
or policy combination aspect:

@InProceedings{Hosmer1993,
   author =       {Hilary H. Hosmer},
   title =        {The Multipolicy Paradigm for Trusted Systems},
   booktitle =    {Proc. ACM New Security Paradigms Workshop},
   key =          {security, policies, metapolicies},
   pages =        {19--32},
   year =         {1993},
   comment =      {an earlier paper identifying general issues}
}

@Article{Lupu1999,
   author =       {Emil C. Lupu and Morris Sloman},
   title =        {Conflicts in Policy--Based Distributed Systems
                   Management},
   journal =      {IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering},
   year =         {1999},
   volume =       {25},
   number =       {6},
   pages =        {852--896},
   usr =          {http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ecl1/papers/tse.pdf}
   comment =      {identifies classes of conflicts between policies}
}

My own impression is that policy combination is largely a
theoretical issue in the research arena, but I might have
missed something here. (Pierangela, Polar?)

I don't know how far we would want to go back in the general
history of access control. If this is supposed to be a more
general survey, I would add a few seminal papers going
back into the '70s (Lampson, HRU, Multics, Abadi/Lampson
delegation logic, etc.). Mind you, these were written even
prior to the Orange Book ;-)

Not sure this is necessary here, though.

Kind regards, Gerald.

--
Dr. Gerald Brose, Software Architect    mailto:brose@xtradyne.com
Xtradyne Technologies                     http://www.xtradyne.com