Subject: Re: [xacml] Minutes for XACML TC Focus Group 19 June 2003

Satoshi,

On 23 June, Satoshi Hada writes: Re: [xacml] Minutes for XACML TC Focus Group 19 June 2003
 > >> - errata 3.6:
 > >>
 > >> string-equality or uri equality for the subject category
 > >> Proposal: not an errata, leave as is:
 > >> string-equality. URI-equality implies URL-equality and this could
 > >> get very complicated because URL can be url-encoded. Besides,
 > >> this does not cover URN what subject attribute really is.

For some reason, my copy of the XACML schema is not the same as
the one on the web site, and I apologize for any confusion this
has caused in my answers to questions.  My copy says

  <xs:attribute name="SubjectCategory" type="xs:string"
                use="optional" .../>

But the one on the web site says "type="xs:anyURI".  I don't
remember this change being made.

Since the schema says anyURI, your question is more of any issue
than I had been thinking.

 > It seems to me that
 > SUN's implementation uses URI-equality
 > rather than string-equality for subject-category comparison:
 >
 > http://sunxacml.sourceforge.net/javadoc/com/sun/xacml/EvaluationCtx.html
 > http://sunxacml.sourceforge.net/javadoc/com/sun/xacml/EvaluationCtx.html#getSubjectAttribute(java.net.URI,%20java.net.URI,%20java.net.URI,%20java.net.URI)
 >
 > Does this comform to the specification?

I'll check with Seth.  Our implementation should conform to the
specification, and should change if it does not.

 > Maybe, the specification document should define the precise meaning of
 > "string-equality".

Our definition of string-equality is 'The function SHALL return
"True" if and only if the value of both of its arguments are of
equal length and each string is determined to be equal
byte-by-byte according to the function "integer-equal"'.

 > >> RECOMMENDATION: accept proposal; continue to use string-equality.
 > >> The type of the XML SubjectCategory attribute is "xs:string".
 >
 > Does this mean the XACML schema will be changed so that
 > the type of the "SubjectCategory" attribute is xs:string (not xs:anyURI) ?

No.  When the XACML TC discussed this, we agreed that comparisons
would be done using "string-equal".  Now that I realize the
schema was changed so the SubjectCategory type is "anyURI", I am
more willing to revisit this.

What are current implementations (besides Sun's XACML
Implementation) doing?

-Anne