Subject: Re: [xacml] (local) names and issuer as string issue

Polar Humenn wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Frank Siebenlist wrote:
>

>>[snip]
>

>>So instead of leaving the (local) name assignement and proper usage procedure
>>outside of the xacml world through some unspecified means, it may be better to
>>have the rule-writer specify that it is "acme-hr's polar" instead of just "polar".
>

> Still, how do you get the rule writer to understand "acme-hr"?
>

>>(unless you want to enforce the use of these @#$%^& x500 style names ;-)
>

> No, I don't, but somewhere you have to make a descision to say that
> "CN=The Human Resources Department, OU=Human Resources, O=ACME, C=US"
> equals "acme-hr". Where do you do that?
>
> That translation will have to be put somewhere. And it will probably be
> specific to the organziations involved and their particular structures.
> For instance, why wouldn't it be "acme's hr"?

I'm afraid that there may be a big misunderstanding here.

"acme-hr" is a local name used in the spki/sdsi sense to facilitate the
adminstration of rules by warm bodies.

The rule-writer would use that name in its policy expressions because that name
makes sense to him/her.

So there should be an additional attribute assertion that binds the name
"acme-hr" to the bare key used by ACME's HR assertion authority asserted by self.

Or using one level of indirection, a local naming authority could bind acme-hr
as the prefered name to ACME's HR's key, which should be used in all policy
rules to standardize name usage.

But you bring up a good point as even if an x500 style name is presented in an
authenticated certificate, the local administrators may not want to use that
"unwieldy" x500 name in their authorization policy expressions, but instead use
the names in their HR/customer records that make more sense to them, i.e. local
names. You may then need a federation/mapping authority, like you outlined, and
somehow state that mappings of this authority can be considered to resolve the
names used in the policy expression...

-Frank.