Subject: RE: [xacml] Proposal on item 7 ConditionReference

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Daniel Engovatov wrote:

> Why only within a single policy?

The policy is a self-contained unit. It is a completely
contained expression of access. To have references outside of the policy,
complicates type checking and evaluation.

> Is not our type and data structure shared between policies?

Not for instances.

> PIP may, and should not be aware of multiple policies as far as I
> understand.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know what a PIP is. The Request
Context contains all the information that is needed to evaluate a policy.

> Why could not attribute type declarations and expressions be shared?  Is
> there any fundamental objection to that, besides the fact that we do not
> have a place to share it - a context schema and document - for now?

I will object.

Sharing an expression by reference amongst policies presents a number of
problems.

1. The policy writer may not know who wrote the expression behind the
reference and what it may mean.

2. Type complications. How will you type check the reference to the
expression?

3. Dynamic binding and evaluation complications. How will you evaluate the
expression behind the reference? Who will evaluate it? How will you trust
it? It then becomes a point of adminstration.

We've argued this same concept before, and we have consistently said that
the <Policy> was the smallest unit of adminstration.

Cheers,
-Polar