Subject: RE: [xacml] Proposal on item 7 ConditionReference

>We've argued this same concept before, and we have consistently said
that
>the <Policy> was the smallest unit of adminstration.

Smallest, yes.  But not the largest unit of administration, I suppose?

We do have information shared between policies.  Functions for example.
What is a fundamental difference between a function declared somewhere
else, and an expression declared somewhere else?

Policy evaluation trusts data from the context, why not to trust a
dynamically computed data?  In most cases a policy writer lives with the
fact that a data type of a particular attribute is fixed and defined
outside of the policy.  It is not declared in the policy - only used.
PIP function is to provide the instance of the context, against which
the policy is evaluated, and this instance is shared between policies.

It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with sharing not only static,
but also a dynamically computed context data - but that would require a
separate document to hold this policy data, with such a document being
the description of the context (attributes and functions declarations).
I agree that one <policy> should not reference anything in another
<policy> document, so currently we can not share indeed.

Daniel.