Subject: [xacml] Comment on hierarchical Resource

The following is my comment on hierarchical resource.

- 7.13.2 xpath-node-match function

While the definition of this function in 1.0 is that the input is two xpath
expressions and the output is boolean value, the definition in the working
draft on hierarchical resources for XACML 2.0 is that the input is one
xpath expression and the output is applied node(s). I would prefer the
original definition. I want to avoid to deal with "node" as a primitive
data type of XACML because it is an implemenation-specific data type. It is
different from other data types like integer and URI. If we remains the
function definition as is, XACML spec does not have to worry about how to
define node of XML documents.

- 7.13.2 resource-ancestor and resource-parent

Resource-ancestor and resource-parent will not be used in the case of XML
document.

- resource-id

As I wrote in my previous email, I would prefer to specify two resource-id
attribute with different data types in one request context in the case of
XML document. For example, if the user accesses of BoD element
(/md:record/md:patient/md:BoD) of XML document of
http://medico.com/medicalrec/Bert, the request context would have the
following two resource-id attributes:

resource-id of http://medico.com/medicalrec/Bert with datatype anyURI
(optional)
resource-id of /md:record/md:patient/md:BoD with datatype xpath-expression

The corresponding policy would be:

if resource-id of anyURI data type is "http://medico.com/medicalrec/Bert";
and resource-id of xpath-expression data type matches to
"/md:record/md:patient" the access is allowed.

Resource-id with any URI data type can be omitted as I wrote before. For
example, if policy does not need to check URI, then xpath-expression match
checking is enough. The combination of anyURI and xpath still means that
the target resource is a single node.

Therefore, the request context can have two or more resource-ids if they
have different data types. (There is a way of passing them to PDP in one
string using XPointer (as specified in 1.0) though.)

It may contradict the description of 7.[A] requests for multiple resources.
Thus, in the case of XML document, I think "scope" attribute should be
applied to resource-id of xpath-expression data type. It is clear enough if
this semantics is specified in the profile document.

- 7.13.2 anyURI-equal/match function

I would like to see the definition of anyURI-match function that receives
two anyURI values and returns true
if "scheme" exists, then the scheme of the first argument and the scheme of
the second argument must be the same
if "authority" exists, then the authority of the first argument and the
authority of the second argument must be the same
if "path" exists, then the path of the first argument must be equal or the
subset of the second argument.

For example,
anyURI-match(http://abc, http://abc) SHALL return true
anyURI-match(//abc, //abc) SHALL return true
anyURI-match(/x/y/z, /x/y/z) SHALL return true
anyURI-match(http://abc, //abc) SHALL return false
anyURI-match(//abc, /x/y/z) SHALL return false

anyURI-path-match(/x/y, /x/y/z) SHALL return true
anyURI-path-match(/x/z, /x/y) SHALL return false

Any comments are welcome.

Best,
Michiharu