Subject: a proposal for combining Conclusions

Below is a proposal focusing on how Conclusions may be combined in the
Generalization model. As Simon and I worked through various scenarios it
became apparent that combining Conclusions was the biggest technical
hurdle to overcome if we were to be able to meet the use cases
introduced earlier.

Under this model Imperatives are grouped into named Families. This
allows us to define inter-Family combination independent of intra-Family
combination.  The goal here is to remove reliance upon statically named
combiners, allowing for a any number of Families to be combined with a
limited set of combiners.

Processing occurs normally for the Policy: Targets matched, Rules
combined and the corresponding Conclusions are gathered. Combination of
Conclusions occurs by first ordering Families using the precedence
defined by the inter-Family combiner then by the precedence defined by
the intra-Family combiner, in effect creating a two dimensional
resolution table.

Example:

   imperativeFamilySequence(ACCESS, MOVE)

   imperative(ACCESS, permit-overrides, permit, deny).
   exclusive(ACCESS, permit, deny)

   imperative(MOVE, stand-overrides, stand, sit).
   exclusive(MOVE, stand, sit).

Here we have 2 families: ACCESS and MOVE. The inter-Family combiner for
ACCESS is deny-overrides and is MOVE is stand-overrides.

Each family consists of a set of mutually-exclusive imperatives. For
each mutually-exclusive pair (e,e')

   do(e) = do-not(e').

Inter-Family combining follows the sequence: ACCESS, MOVE.

Suppose we have the following Conclusions:

   C1: do(permit), do(sit)
   C2: do(permit), do(stand)
   C3: do(deny), do(sit)

Evaluation occurs by combining Imperatives ONE Family at a time WITHOUT
regard for Imperatives of lower precedence Famlilies.

In this example the permit-overrides combiner for the ACCESS Family--the
Family with highest precedence--is applied, C1 (permit) and C2 (permit)
are selected and C3 (deny) is dropped.

The next Family in order of precedence is MOVE so the MOVE combiner
(stand-overrides) is applied. The combiner is applied to the MOVE
Imperatives for C1 and C2 only, causing C2 to be selected (stand) and C1
to be dropped. The ConclusionSet returned is C2 (permit, stand).

Looking at the problem another way:

   Imp./Con. |    C1       C2     C3
   ------------------------------------
   ACCESS    |   permit  permit  deny
   MOVE      |    sit    stand   sit

Processing occurs by row, from top to bottom. Therefore,

   ACCESS      permit  permit  deny   ---> permit

...this discards C3 so the next evaluation is:

   MOVE         sit    stand          ---> stand

...this discards C1 leaving C2, making the result (ConclusionSet):

   Imp./Con. |    C2
   --------------------
   ACCESS    |   permit
   MOVE      |   stand

The first observation that comes to mind that it is possible for an
ImperativeFamily (a row in above table) to be ignored as a result of a
higher precedence ImperativeFamily ruling out a ConclusionSet (column in
table above) even though the it meets other criteria, however we believe
that can be addressed by the inter-Family combiner.

Sorry, but to talk about this case in more detail is going to take a
whiteboard ;)

XML
====