Subject: Re: [xacml] Community-defined sets of Attribute Identifiers

On Jun 20, 2005, at 4:33 PM, Anne Anderson wrote:
> I know we don't want to get into the business of being a registry for
> attribute identifiers, but I think it would be perfectly reasonable to
> add a section to our "XACML References" document to link to other
> documents that define attribute identifiers for various domains.
> "XACML
> References" is provided under disclaimers of responsibility, accuracy,
> completeness, etc., so I don't think we would run into problems by
> providing this additional information.  I think the links would be of
> value to the XACML community and to interoperability.

I've been going back and forth on this one.

On the one hand, I'm all for interoperability, and defining common
identifiers helps with that. On the other hand, just defining
identifiers (and not new datatypes) shouldn't be needed here, since
if someone wants to work with a given system that system will provide
the definitions. It seems to me that what we're really doing is
posting a list of identifiers, and saying "while we haven't vetted
these identifiers, this is a 'standard' way of naming the following
data." This sounds a little to me like we're implicitly standardizing
identifiers.

Personally, I'd rather see us continue to reference systems that
implement or use XACML. If those systems choose to define some
identifiers, you don't need to worry about them until you work with a
given system. Arguably, this works like namespaces themselves. We
cite projects, and those projects in turn define identifiers. If they
choose to change their identifiers, we don't need to worry about
updating some list. This would make me feel much more comfortable.

seth