Subject: RE: [xacml] url/uri-string-concatenate

Should be URI.  Well, should really be IRI, but URI is fine.. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Seth Proctor [mailto:Seth.Proctor@sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:47 PM
To: Bill Parducci
Cc: Anne.Anderson@sun.com; OASIS XACML TC

FYI, I dredged up my notes on this question from several months ago
when I tripped across it. The informal consensus was that the
concatenation function is _not_ supposed to handle any specific
properties of the URI scheme. That is, it is not responsible for
adding characters like '/' or ':' or '%'.

In other words, the function takes a URI and a bunch of strings. The
URI is effectively converted to a string, simple sting concatenation
is done to append all the elements in order, and then the complete
string is converted back to a URI. This does not have to be a URL.

For some reason, the consensus on the name was to use "url" instead
of "uri" so this is what I implemented. That said, I don't care too
much which name is used. Given that there's nothing URL-specific
about the function, using "uri" for the name seems like a good idea
to me.

<aside>
I've talked a little about this with Anne. I should have thought of
it before 2.0, but, well, hindsight and all :) Rather than all these
type-specific functions we introduced for regexp, concat, etc., it
would probably make more sense just to have type-to-string functions
(which are needed anyway to support XML encoding), especially since
these functions essentially use these semantics. Maybe in the future
we could consider adding this to make it easier
</aside>

seth