Subject: Re: [xacml] Call for Obligations

Has there been any work on obligations since xacml v2.0?

Some use cases:
Some of the things that pop up in mind with reference to obligations are:
a) Auditing. (Common use case).
b) Deny further requests on a particular subject if the number of
unsuccessful authorization requests > n times. (More of a DOS use case).
- Blacklist a subject.

Priority among ObligationCategoryMembers:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xacml/DiscussionOnObligations
In the case of "encrypt" category, what if the PEP is unable to encrypt
using "3DES" but can do "blowfish"?  I think there is scope for levels
of priority here with reference to obligation categories for the various
members.

Optional Obligations:
I am also wondering if there is scope to specify whether a particular
obligation is required or optional.  The reason is if a particular PEP
is not able to perform a particular obligation, then it is
non-reasonable to deny a particular access. A policy writer should be
able to specify obligations that are mandatory and some that are
optional(eg: logging for performance purposes).

Sorry if I have been way off-topic.

Bill Parducci wrote:
> As we explore ways to create a model for handling more complex Obligation
> combinations it will be very helpful to gather Use Cases and/or
> descriptions of Obligations that are (or are planned to be) used in the
> field. This will help us create Obligation Categories and from that
> hopefully develop a model that will be both flexible and deterministic in
> combining the slippery little things.
>
> Please post your contributions to the list or email me directly if you
> aren't able to post to the list. All input is welcome.
>
> thanks

Anil Saldhana
JBoss Security & Identity Management
http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbosssecurity/