Subject: Re: [xacml] Call for Obligations

> Has there been any work on obligations since xacml v2.0?

The majority of work done on Obligations has been summarized on the
wiki.

> Some use cases:
> Some of the things that pop up in mind with reference to
> obligations are:
> a) Auditing. (Common use case).
> b) Deny further requests on a particular subject if the number of
> unsuccessful authorization requests > n times. (More of a DOS use
> case). - Blacklist a subject.

Can you provide a bit more detail on these? A description of the
possible Members for each of these and what each should do would be a
nice start ;)

> Priority among ObligationCategoryMembers:
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xacml/DiscussionOnObligations
> In the case of "encrypt" category, what if the PEP is unable to
> encrypt using "3DES" but can do "blowfish"?  I think there is scope
> for levels of priority here with reference to obligation categories
> for the various members.

In the normative sense, the PDP makes it decision in ignorance of the
capabilities of the PEP; likewise the PEP is unaware of the
Obligations the PDP may consider. So, should a PDP render an
Obligation of "3DES" but the PEP doesn't support it an Error
condition would result on the PEP. It is theoretically possible for a
PDP to return and entire Category in sequential order for processing
by the PEP, but we have not considered such a case (as it would
require PDP-like actions on the PEP). An interesting idea though.
Perhaps we should work through the ramifications to see what we come
up with...

> Optional Obligations:
> I am also wondering if there is scope to specify whether a
> particular obligation is required or optional.  The reason is if a
> particular PEP is not able to perform a particular obligation, then
> it is non-reasonable to deny a particular access. A policy writer
> should be able to specify obligations that are mandatory and some
> that are optional(eg: logging for performance purposes).

Hmmm... this seems like kind of a weird one: an Obligation that
doesn't really obligate the PEP do anything. Guess I am going to have
to pull out the "Show me the Use Case" card :o) since "logging for
performance purposes" isn't clear to me. Can you elaborate?

> Sorry if I have been way off-topic.

This is good stuff. Lets explore it a bit and see where we end up. I
think you have introduced some ideas that will make for interesting
study! Please feel free to start capturing your ideas on the wiki.