Subject: Re: [xacml] Re: Call for Obligations

The semantics of a particular Obligation are completely between the
Policy Administration Point and the PEP.  The PAP could define a
particular Obligation "TryToLog" as meaning: "Make a best effort to log,
but it is not an error if unable to do so".

Anne

Anil Saldhana wrote:

> I understand that obligation means obligation. :)
>
> Anil Saldhana wrote:
>
>> My use cases in mind are the following(please correct me wherever my
>> understanding is wrong):
>> a) Legitimate authorization request arrives at the PEP. PEP invokes
>> the PDP. PDP comes back with 'PERMIT' and a set of obligations. PEP is
>> unable to fulfill 1 or more obligations. PEP issues an error. What
>> happened to the legitimate request?
>> b) PDP issues a 'PERMIT' with a logging obligation. PEP does not want
>> to log because performance considerations have been put forward and
>> logging is low priority for the PEP. PEP issues an error.
>>
>> These are the use cases that I feel that obligations can have an
>> optional tag such that PEP can be spec compliant in ignoring them.
>>
>> sampo@symlabs.com wrote:

>>> How is an Obligation an obligation if it is optional?
>>> Perhaps better wording would be qualified or alternate obligations,
>>> e.g. either you MUST log or you MUST validate a digital
>>> signature (which MUST be present and valid).

--
Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928