Subject: Re: [xacml] Passing parameters to the attribute designator

Anil and all,

This issue falls under the broader issue of attribute provisioning,
which I think is very important and currently somewhat underspecified in
the XACML world. But this is much because by design XACML chose to
abstract away this kind of details. This kind of abstraction makes XACML
more generally applicable and adaptable to different environments and
growth over time.

I think that the XACML context handler abstraction is a Good Thing and
that parameters such as keys for SQL queries or parameters of database
connections in a particular implementation do not belong in XACML
policies. Putting such parameters in the policy would break
interoperability between implementations.

I think that the particular use case you propose is better handled as
part of the configuration of a particular context handler
implementation. The attribute id should be all that is in the policy.
How to look up the attribute is part of the configuration of the
implementation.

If a more general solution is desired, I think it would be more
appropriate to do work on standardization on context handlers and their
configuration for widely used environments. Rich has raised these issues
in the TC and I am looking forward to pursue them once the XACML 3.0
core schema is "done". (Though I am not sure if this TC is always the
best place for such work.)

So I am opposed to the proposed change in the XACML schema.

Best regards,
Erik