Subject: Re: [xacml] Issue: Hierarchical profile appears ambiguous and inconsistent

All,

I've been in a rush today, so I haven't followed every detail in the
discussion, but basically, here is how it appears to me:

* The profile, as it stands today, does specify the limited URI scheme
which Rich describes. It says in section 2.2 that:

--8<--
The <pathname> portion of the URI SHALL be of the form

<root name> [ “/” <node name> ]*

The sequence of <root name> and <node name> values SHALL correspond to
the individual hierarchical component names of ancestors of the
represented node along the path from a <root> node to the represented node.
--8<--

So it in fact says that the identifiers must consists of paths with the
names of the ancestors.

* If I understand Daniel correctly, he says that each node should be
allowed to have a name which is entirely independent of the other nodes
in the hierarchy. Relations between the nodes are maintained in a manner
not specified by XACML and are expressed in XACML Requests and policies
in the form of the attributes resource-parent, resource-ancestor, etc. I
think that the more general approach advocated by Daniel would be the
correct way to go, so I agree with him (and Seth I believe. :-))

* I also think as suggested on the XACML comments/users list that the
data type of the node identifier should not be limited to URIs only.

But I would prefer to leave major changes to the hierarchical profile
out of the first batch of CD documents.

Best regards,
Erik