Subject: Re: AW: AW: [xacml] Re: XACML's limitations in the access controlfor XML documents use case - AW: AW: [xacml] CD-1 issue #11: strictnessof xpath definition

Hi Jan,

Yes, I think there has been some miscommunication, and now we are
talking about the same thing. ;-) See inline.

Jan Herrmann wrote:
> Hi Erik,
> see comments below.
> greetings jan

Yes, this has been the point I have been trying to make with issue #11.
By using xpath-node-equal, then it is not necessary to define a strict
form of xpaths generated by the PDP, and we avoid the problems of
defining another matching language.

Agreed, there might be performance reasons to not use xpath, but I have
not done any work on this. However, until it is shown that xpath really
has performance issues, I would like to avoid defining another matching
language, considering how much work this would do and the risk of making
a mistake doing so.

> The important point I tried to point out is, that the xpath functions ONLY,
> allow only for a pretty coarse grained specification of the resources=nodes
> the rule is referring to.
>
> In order to define the resources a rule is referring to on a more
> fine-grained, content dependant level you have to add conditions like the
> following:
>  AttributeSelector(concat(resource-id, /price/text()) > 50 and
>  AttributeSelector(concat(resource-id, /author/text()) =
>  AttributeDesignator(subject-id)
>
> Only through the use of this "new/extended" selector you get the needed
> expressiveness (fine-grained, content dependant rules). Further it is very
> important that resource-id matches exactly one node.

Yes, this is correct. Without an offset, or something else, this cannot
be done very well by XACML. This is issue #16 on the list. I have tried
to keep issues #11 and #16 separate, since I hope you now can see that
they are mostly independent from each other.

> Did I understand you correctly or are you further looking for an example
> where the xpath functions in general are not enough?

I think we are now in agreement of what the issues are.

Best regards,