Subject: Re: [xacml] MAD conceptual model

Paul, All,

I find this proposal hard to follow because it mixes all the different
schemes into a single long description. I agree that the spec currently
lacks a good summary of in which order the various transforms should be
done, but I think it is better to describe each transformation of  a
multiple request in a separate section, in a more modular fashion. Also,
I have a preference for doing the Cartesian product of repeated
categories before the scope transformation. I just find that easier to
work with mentally, but that might be a personal preference. :-)

I would propose something like this (with some material stolen from Paul):

This profile specifies four different schemes by which multiple requests
for authorization decisions can be encoded into a single XACML <Request>
element. These schemes can be nested. An implementation MUST behave such
that it will produce identical results as if would perform the following
operations.

1. For each MultiRequest/RequestReference in the request, create a new
   request context, as specified in section 2.4 in this profile.  If
there are no <MultiRequest>
   elements, then use the original request context as input to the
   following steps. If there are any errors, include the errors in the
final result defined in step 5 below, while any valid <Request> is
processed as defined by the following steps.

2. For each <Request> element from the previous step which contains
<Attributes> elements with repeated values for the Category XML
attribute, perform the processing defined in section 2.3 of this
profile. The outputs of this processing and any <Request> elements
without repeated values for the Category XML attribute form the inputs
for the following steps. If there are any errors, include the errors in
the final result defined in step 5 below, while any valid <Request> is
processed as defined by the following steps.

3. For each <Request> element from the previous step which specifies a
"scope" attribute, perform the processing defined in sections 2.1 and
2.2 of this profile to expand the <Request> context into multiple
individual <Request> contexts, to be used as the inputs in the next
step. If there is no "scope" attribute, use that <Request> context as it
is in the next step. If there are any errors, include the errors in the
final result defined in step 5 below, while any valid <Request> is
processed as defined by the following steps.

4. At this stage each <Request> is a request for an individual
authorization decision. Each <Request> MUST be processed by the PDP as
an individual access control request according to the XACML core
specification and any implemented profiles and extensions.

5. The final result of the original <Request> element which was the
input to step 1 above is a <Response> which contains all collected
errors from steps one through three and all the individual results from
step 4 as <Result> elements.

Best regards,
Erik