Subject: Administration & Delegation - Was: Re: [xacml] Current state of profiles

Hi Hal,

On 8/08/2014 3:38 AM, Hal Lockhart wrote:
I would like to see what we need to do to move forward on the Privacy and the Admin&Deleg Profiles.

I will comment separately on the Privacy Profile.

I cannot even find the Admin&Deleg thread. Does anyone have a reference?

In both cases, my questions are: is there a concrete proposal? Are the changes needed now or is this just an enhancement request?

There are two main unresolved topics of discussion for the Administration and
Delegation Profile. The first is category prefixing. There are three problems
with category prefixing that are introduced in these three threads on the
XACML comment list.

    A Problem with the "delegated:" Prefix
        https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/201205/msg00000.html

    XPathCategory During Reduction
        https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/201205/msg00004.html

    Multiple Decision Requests During Reduction
        https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/201106/msg00003.html

The first of those threads canvassed some possible solutions, but by far my
preferred solution is to do away with category prefixing and use policy labelling
instead, which was introduced in a later thread.

    Policy Labelling
        https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201209/msg00001.html

Erik appeared to accept the idea of policy labelling:

    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201211/msg00000.html

The Policy Labelling thread then morphed into the second main topic of discussion,
which was about alternatives to using the reduction graph to evaluate administrative
requests.

    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201211/msg00016.html

My objection to the current mechanism is that it is too difficult to use in practice.
To quote from the aforementioned email:

    ... working out where
    to put an administrative policy under the current scheme is a burden policy
    writers can do without. Take the simple case where User A delegates all
    rights to User D. This is a very simple administrative policy that basically
    says "if the delegate is User D, then Permit". The issue is where to put it.
    User A needs to place it (by copy or by reference) in every policy set where
    User D will potentially be creating access policies. Furthermore, as new
    policy sets are created that User D might put policies into, User A will have
    to put the administrative policy in there as well. Conversely, if User A
    isn't thorough or proactive in placing the administrative policy, then User D
    will be limited in the rights he or she can actually exercise. Compounding
    the difficulties is the fact that in the general case, because of
    multi-valued attributes and augmentation of the delegate category by
    a context handler, practically any untrusted policy can be authorized by any
    administrative policy. It all depends on the request context. It is only
    by making assumptions about certain attributes being single-valued or by
    knowing about correlations between the attributes of an access subject that
    we can begin to predict which untrusted policies will be authorized by
    which administrative policies in the absence of any specific request context.
    These are things that users shouldn't have to be concerned with when creating
    administrative policies.

The reduction graph also limits what one can do with administrative policies
compared to access policies and I was hoping to give writers of administrative
policies the same freedom as writers of access policies.

I was proposing doing away with the reduction graph and simply assessing an administrative
request against the collection of administrative policies and policy sets just as we
assess an access request against the collection of access policies and policy sets.
It is potentially a recursive procedure because administration policies may also
need to be authorized by further administrative requests. In the worst case the cost
of the procedure is roughly N! (N factorial) compared to roughly N * N for the
reduction graph. The worst case is the rather dysfunctional situation where every
administrative policy authorizes every access policy and every other administrative
policy. The typical case would be nothing like that, but as I have no useful
empirical data on what "typical" actually is, there was an action item on me to find
an optimization with better worst case performance. I haven't found one.

Rather than make a choice between the impractical and the expensive, I will now propose
a compromise. The management difficulties of the current method would be alleviated
if the reduction graph were formed from the sibling administrative policies of the
access policy being reduced *and* the sibling administrative policies of each policy
set enclosing the access policy being reduced. In this way an administrative policy
with wide scope, such as "if the delegate is User D, then Permit", could be placed
once in an outer policy set where it will automatically affect all the nested
policy sets, rather than being laboriously reproduced in all of those nested policy
sets. Any new nested policy sets would be automatically covered by the administrative
policy without further action by the policy administrator. Administrative policies
would still have some limitations compared to access policies, but at least they
wouldn't be such a burden to maintain.

Since we're in the neighbourhood, this issue with the reduction graph could also be
addressed:

    Reduction Should Use Extended Indeterminate Values
        https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/201106/msg00004.html

Regards,
Steven

Let’s have some discussion on the call today.

Hal