Subject: [xcbf] [Fwd: Re: (U) RE: Standard field for Finger Index]

FYI. Phil

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: (U) RE: Standard field for Finger Index
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:12:05 +0200
From: Alessandro Triglia <sandro@MCLINK.IT>
To: BIOMETRICS@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

I agree.  Today, when one thinks of a biometrics system architecture
including both BioAPI and X9.84, the latter is usually viewed as
addressing security issues for the *transmission* of biometric
samples
and templates.  Unfortunately, once the data is received or
before it is
sent, it lives within the domain of BioAPI and outside the
applicability
of X9.84.  However, for many applications it would be beneficial if
these two standards were integrated more tightly.

One solution would be to extend the BioAPI standard to allow the
use of
an X9.84 data block (an "encoded" BiometricSyntax value) in place
of a
BIR (or as a new kind of BIR), as Phil suggests.  Among the
benefits is
the possibility of storing in a template database a digitally-signed
biometric template that keeps the signature of the original
signer, with
which the data was received.  The signature could then be checked
at any
time, both when the template is received from the network and
when it is
retrieved from the database months or years later.

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva

The preceding was forwarded by the Biometric Consortium's Electronic
Discussion Group.  Any opinions expressed here do not necessarily
reflect those of the Biometric Consortium.  Further distribution
is prohibited.

Problems and questions regarding this list should be sent to
BIOMETRICS-request@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM.

To remove your name from this list please send the command
"SIGNOFF BIOMETRICS" to <LISTSERV@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>.  Please
do not send the "SIGNOFF BIOMETRICS" command to the BIOMETRICS list.

To update membership information (new e-mail address etc.),
please send
a message to <bailey@biometrics.org> providing the updated
information.