Subject: Re: [xcbf] X9.84 Revision

Bancroft Scott wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Phil Griffin wrote:
>

>>Bancroft,
>>
>>I have not finished writing these yet. But the most
>>current OID module is in the XCBF document in the
>>private area of the XCBF site. It is almost
>>certainly complete.
>>

> No, it has at least one syntax error (missing ::=). It would be good if
> the modules were syntax checked using tools such as the free syntax
> checker from OSS or France Telecom.

At which line number(s)?

>>The CMS module is in a bit of
>>flux if you're using sophisticated tools. I've
>>hand coded this stuff twice before and did again
>>for my XCBF tools - I find that the encoding is
>>not too complex and it is the cryptographic
>>processing and key management that are most
>>important.
>>

> It is good that it can be hand-coded, but it would be great if the syntax
> were clean enough so that it can be verified by machine.

Well it certainly must be before it is finished.
But you know, in all fairness, I AM working on
this without much if any assistance.

>>Completion of the CMS module has been awaiting two
>>events that I thought it best we coordinate with.
>>One is the latest revision of the IETF SMIME RFC,
>>and the other is the reballoting version of X9.73.
>>It is desirable, long term, for these two standards
>>and XCBF to all use the same identifier and type
>>names for common types such as SignedData.
>>
>>SMIME is nearly through their review process. X9.73
>>was changed to its final version last week in Redondo
>>Beach. Over the next week or so, I'll try to complete
>>the revision of our XCBF module and incorporate this
>>into the XCBF document.
>>
>>So, are you voting to move ahead with the new X9.84?
>>

> I leave that to Alessandro to make that decision for OSS.

Technically, my understanding is that each TC member
has one vote, and "company" has no meaning. Not sure
that I really believe this, but that is what I've
been lead to believe are the rules.

> However, the ASN.1 spec that you have provided needs more work. I have
> been struggling to get it to cleanly compile, cutting here, pasting there.
> A real hassle.  I've given up until we have something more solid.

Then you'll just have to be patient and wait for
me to complete the work.

> BTW, the XER encoding that you have at the bottom of x984.htm is invalid.
> If you cut the encoding and paste it to a file named, say, x984.xml, then
> use a basic XML syntax checker such as Internet Explorer to open the file
> you will see that it contains syntax errors.

You will recall that I stated clearly that it
was WIP and had not been checked using my
product.

>>I have had no intention of publishing every single
>>type needed to compile the XCBF ASN.1. The likes of
>>DomainCertificate and Certificate and such are not
>>really ours to control.
>>

> I am not suggesting that you publish these.  However, if you reference the
> types then it would help much if you were to precisely identify where the
> types are defined so as to minimize the effort that everyone has to make
> to try and get a complete set of definitions.  A set of URLs pointing to
> the resources that define all directly and indirectly imported types would
> be great.

If you know of such URLs please advise and I will
be happy to include them. X.509 is likely available
on Olivier's site. But I doubt that you will find
the others.

>>But I'm open to considering
>>this, perhaps as annex materials. Note that I leave
>>comments in the IMPORTS statements to tell readers
>>where to find the appropriate modules.
>>

> I saw those.  They are no doubt very meaningful to you, but for me
> they just tell me what to enter in google to start my hunt.  URLs
> of some sort would be much better.

Please then DO suggest URLs or alternate text. Any
and all help much appreciated.

>>For your compiler, I would suggest that you test by
>>stubbing out missing types, using the likes of
>>
>>    Certificate ::= SEQUENCE {}
>>    DomainCertificate ::= SEQUENCE {}
>>

> If only it were that simple.
>
> Where is CBEFF-Formats defined?  I see that it is an information object
> set of class "BIOMETRIC", but this class is locally defined.  Does the
> module that defines CBEFF-Formats (i.e., X9-84-Identifiers) import
> BIOMETRIC from this module (X9-84-Biometrics), or does it redefine this
> class?

CBEFF-Formats  is defined in the XCBF document at
lines 475 and 607. Once in the text and again in
the schema module.

> It is hard to tell if x984.htm is syntactically correct without a
> complete ASN.1 schema.

Hah! If you look at it closely you will see that it
contains placeholde text where actual values should
be present. And as I said, it is not complete.

My recollection was that Alessandro agreed to provide
encoded examples. I am working these out on my website
for the purpose of providing general information. I
will of course try to integrate this effort into the
XCBF if examples are not forthcoming from other sources.

Hope that helps.

Phil