Subject: RE: [xcbf] SignedData Attributes - DigitalSignature Attributes

(OK. I thought I might have missed a recent change in the spec.)  If
these definitions haven't changed, "certificates" is a SET OF CHOICE, so
the XER encoding must identify the alternative of the CHOICE.  For an
X.509 certificate, the encoding would be:

   <certificates><certificate> ... </certificate></certificates>

> of either X.509 identity certificates, X.509 attribute
> certificates as defined in the free ITU-T module database:
> (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/database/itu-t/x/x509/index.html)
> or, the X9.68 compressed domain digital certificate (see
> http://asn-1.com/x968.htm), an open type that allows for
> other flavors of certificates to be used as they evolve or
> become prevalent.
>
> Generally, certificates are a SEQUENCE type. They are signed
> objects, so they can be carried in the clear in SignedData,
> as they are already protected. Certificate signatures are
> computed over a DER encoding of their content. To be useful,
> and generally to be handed off to a validation and verification
> tool, they must be in binary.
>
> For the purposes of XCBF, they are peripheral to our work and
> need not be decoded into XML markup in order to use the XCBF
> specification.

I understand.  However, if I am looking at the right spec, the
CertificateChoices type has a component of type Certificate (which is a
SEQUENCE) plus others:

CertificateSet ::= SET SIZE(1..MAX) OF CertificateChoices

CertificateChoices ::= CHOICE {
   certificate  Certificate,
}

Certificate ::= SIGNED { SEQUENCE {
	.............. } }      which expands into a SEQUENCE.

According to these definitions, I don't understand how I can take a
DER-encoded certificate and insert it within the XER encoding of a
SignerInfo.  In order to achieve what you describe, the "certificate"
alternative of CertificateChoices should be an OCTET STRING, rather than
a "Certificate".

Alessandro