Subject: Re: [xcbf] Groups - XCBF XML Common Biometric Format CS April 3 2003.zipuploaded

Phil,

If everything is intended to be CXER, then a clear statement to that
effect suffices - I am absolutely *not* wanting that to be said in any
formal way.  But I still think there is confusion with examples that are
not in CXER, and the use of terms like "BASE64 armoured" also adds
confusion.

But your first sentence in the mail below confuses me in terms of your
intent, and adds confusion to the spec itself.  What do you mean by
"We're using Base64 in a simple specification"?  What simple
specification?  Base64 is at the heart of this problem.  It WILL be
available in EXTENDED-XER which will be fully approved in late summer by
ITU-T, fingers crossed, but Ed was unwilling on the first vote to
reference the amendment for that until it was published, and this
started the problem.  Please, however, note there is no canonical
version of EXTENDED-XER, nor is one planned, so you can only use BASE64
AND canonical encodings by mixed use of EXTENDED-XER and CXER, something
I do not really recommend if it can be avoided.

But .....

.... provided the next ballot document contains a clear and unambiguous
statement that the encoding of all parts of the ASN.1 is CXER (assuming
that is what is intended), then you will get my whole-hearted YES vote
without comments - I can live with any other bits which might cause
confusion.

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069