Subject: Re: [xcbf] Groups - XCBF XML Common Biometric Format CS April 3 2003.zipuploaded (fwd)

Phil,

I am not sure how you justify your first statement.

There was certainly initial agreement to use Base64, on the grounds that
it was being added in EXTENDED-XER. I agree with that.

But Ed opposed that decision because EXTENDED-XER was not yet publicly
available.  I have no problems with Ed's position.  But it means that
that solution is not agreed.

A subsequent proposed solution was a kind of fudging of the issue with a
hex encoding of a Base64 encoding of the value, which I don't think was
ever agreed.  Certainly if that fudge had been clear to me (and here we
come to problems with lack of clarity in the document in this area, and
perhaps lack of discussion of this technical issue) I would not have
supported that proposal.  It is technically a nonsense, I believe,
introducing overheads with no gain.

Another solution was to delay progression in OASIS until Base64 became
available in late summer, or to proceed once the ISO FCD ballot was
started.  That also was not agreed.

The third proposed solution was not to use Base64 at all.  That is my
own preferred position, given Ed's opposition to using a standard that
is not yet finalised.  But you seem not to accept that either.

So ...

... whatever, I believe that your statement that "This is not what we
agreed in the CS" is wrong.  In *this* area, I think there has been NO
agreement (yet) in the CS - ***that is the problem***.

It would be horrible to lose the ship for what is a ha'pth of tar.  Is
the Base64 stuff THAT important?

*** But if you want to continue to press for it, we must reach a
consensus on its use and how to proceed. ****

This is the only problem with what is otherwise an excellent Standard,
it should not founder just for this.

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069