Subject: Re: [xcbf] Ways forward

Ed,

I really appreciate you being flexible on the three options.

I think we are heading for your option 2 at the moment.

If that hits problems in getting consensus, we can look at your other
options.  Phil will be very unhappy if we use option 3, I think, but
option 1 is clearly a fall-back position.

At the teleconference, no-one actually said they wanted option 2, except
that both Bancroft and myself spoke on behalf of Phil (who had left)
saying that we felt he would strongly prefer option 2 of the three options.

Of course, we may have mis-represented Phil!.

But for now, I think my brief (as a possible Editor-to-be-approved) is
to work with your option 2.

**** But I am not sure we need an Annex  ****

We are talking about a couple of paragraphs of text only, I think.  (As
Bancroft said, this thing *is* a nit.)  And it can probably go into the
mnain body.

*** But you can judge what you want when I produce some text. ***

Currently, I am planning a small clause in the main document, with a
footnote (as suggested by John Messing) saying that this anticipates a
future Standard.

*** I will look to John M to review the proposed text on that when I
have produced it. ***

But if, when you see the text, you would prefer it to be moved to a
(normative) Annex rather than being normative text, I have absolutely no
objection at all.

I am up to my ears with an ASN.1 meeting trying to meet deadlines to
progress this EXTENDED-XER stuff, but this OASIS work is important, and
I will try to get a draft out to the group by Monday, and you-all can
then decide whether you are happy with the approach and the text.

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069