xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Groups - draft-xdi-metaschema-v3.xsd uploaded

And just since I'm on a role, you could express the same content of the XDI "metaschema" as an set of RDF statements (I'm using n3 - a shorthand notation for RDF - much like RelaxNG has a compact syntax). First, you'd define a set of new Properties and a new Class of resource called XDIResource:

----
# I've left out namespace declarations here

xdi:root a rdf:Property.
xdi:link a rdf:Property.
xdi:xri a rdf:Property.
xdi:data a rdf:Property.
xdi:resource a rdf:Property.

xdi:XDIResource a rdfs:Class; rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Resource.

xdi:root rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
	   rdfs:range xsd:boolean.

xdi:link rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
	   rdfs:range xsd:boolean.

xdi:xri rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
         rdfs:range xsd:string.

xdi:data rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
	   rdfs:range rdf:XMLLiteral.

xdi:resource rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
             rdfs:range xdi:XDIResource.

---

Then, you can make statements about an XDIResource (equivalent to an XDI Descriptor) anywhere you'd like (in another RDF document, in a RDDL document -- anywhere you can put in RDF statements):

# Namespace declarations omitted
<xri:@example*xdi*resource> a xdi:XDIResource;
				xdi:root "true";
				xdi:link "false";
				xdi:xri "xri:@some*other/one";
				xdi:data "<foo/>";
				xdi:resource <xri:@example2*xdi*resource>

----

You might want to insert these RDF statements (in RDF/XML) into XHTML pages (a la RDDL - http://www.rddl.org) or into the RDF metadata in a PDF document (via XMP - http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/pdf/xml.jsp) or you may want to drop it into a reasoner (http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/cwm or http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/), or you may want to integrate it with FOAF (http://www.foaf-project.org), or ... The point I'm making is that RDF makes it REALLY easy to integrate with other semantic/data architectures and applications...

Just food for thought.

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect