xdi message

Subject: XDI as RDF

Gabe,

I was on vacation when you sent this message out; I'm just getting caught up
on mail. Just wanted to say this is really super stuff - it fulfills the
expectation we have discussed for some time that XDI and RDF should both be
able to describe the other (similar to the Cartesian and radian coordinates
analogy).

Did you see Dave McAlpin's example document showing XML in XDI format? He
illustrates the case of enveloped XDI inside existing XML documents much the
way you suggest it could be wrapped in RDF.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 9:53 AM
To: Wachob, Gabe; drummond.reed@cordance.net; xdi@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [xdi] Groups - draft-xdi-metaschema-v3.xsd uploaded

And just since I'm on a role, you could express the same content of the XDI
"metaschema" as an set of RDF statements (I'm using n3 - a shorthand
notation for RDF - much like RelaxNG has a compact syntax). First, you'd
define a set of new Properties and a new Class of resource called
XDIResource:

----
# I've left out namespace declarations here

xdi:root a rdf:Property.
xdi:link a rdf:Property.
xdi:xri a rdf:Property.
xdi:data a rdf:Property.
xdi:resource a rdf:Property.

xdi:XDIResource a rdfs:Class; rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Resource.

xdi:root rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
	   rdfs:range xsd:boolean.

xdi:link rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
	   rdfs:range xsd:boolean.

xdi:xri rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
         rdfs:range xsd:string.

xdi:data rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
	   rdfs:range rdf:XMLLiteral.

xdi:resource rdfs:domain xdi:XDIResource;
             rdfs:range xdi:XDIResource.

---

Then, you can make statements about an XDIResource (equivalent to an XDI
Descriptor) anywhere you'd like (in another RDF document, in a RDDL document
-- anywhere you can put in RDF statements):

# Namespace declarations omitted
<xri:@example*xdi*resource> a xdi:XDIResource;
				xdi:root "true";
				xdi:link "false";
				xdi:xri "xri:@some*other/one";
				xdi:data "<foo/>";
				xdi:resource <xri:@example2*xdi*resource>

----

You might want to insert these RDF statements (in RDF/XML) into XHTML pages
(a la RDDL - http://www.rddl.org) or into the RDF metadata in a PDF document
(via XMP - http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/pdf/xml.jsp) or you may want
to drop it into a reasoner (http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/cwm or
http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/), or you may want to integrate it with FOAF
(http://www.foaf-project.org), or ... The point I'm making is that RDF makes
it REALLY easy to integrate with other semantic/data architectures and
applications...

Just food for thought.

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com