xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Groups - draft-xdi-metaschema-v7.xsd uploaded

Hello all,

I won't be able to attend the meeting tonight, but I took a quick run
through on the new schema and came up with the following:

1. The new proposed schema could benefit from being more extensible. To
add extensibility you would need to add one or more of the following in
the appropriate places:
   <xsd:any
        namespace="##other"
        processContents="lax"
        minOccurs="0"
        maxOccurs="unbounded"

        <xsd:annotation>
            <xsd:documentation>
               This free-form extension may
               include additional,
               namespace-qualified XML.
            </xsd:documentation>
        </xsd:annotation>
    </xsd:any>

My recommendation would be to change the resource definition to:
<element name="resource">
  <complexType>
     <sequence>
        <element
            ref="xdi:xri"
            maxOccurs="unbounded" />
        <element
            ref="xdi:data"
            minOccurs="0" />
        <element
            ref="xdi:resource"
            minOccurs="0"
            maxOccurs="unbounded" />
        <xsd:any
            namespace="##other"
            processContents="lax"
            minOccurs="0"
            maxOccurs="unbounded"

            <xsd:annotation>
                <xsd:documentation>
                   This free-form extension may
                   include additional,
                   namespace-qualified XML.
                 </xsd:documentation>
             </xsd:annotation>
        </xsd:any>
     </sequence>
  </complexType>
</element>

2. I know I brought this up earlier but I still think a more generic
container for the XRIs is appropriate, so would further alter the
resource def into:
<element name="resource">
  <complexType>
     <sequence>
        <element
            ref="xdi:addressing" />
            <!-- Note:default minOccurs and maxOccurs is 1 -->
        <element
            ref="xdi:data"
            minOccurs="0" />
        <element
            ref="xdi:resource"
            minOccurs="0"
            maxOccurs="unbounded" />
        <xsd:any
            namespace="##other"
            processContents="lax"
            minOccurs="0"
            maxOccurs="unbounded"

            <xsd:annotation>
                <xsd:documentation>
                   This free-form extension may
                   include additional,
                   namespace-qualified XML.
                 </xsd:documentation>
             </xsd:annotation>
        </xsd:any>
     </sequence>
  </complexType>
</element>

And add an addressing def of:
<element name="addressing">
  <complexType>
     <sequence>
        <element
            ref="xdi:xri"
            maxOccurs="unbounded" />
        <xsd:any
            namespace="##other"
            processContents="lax"
            minOccurs="0"
            maxOccurs="unbounded"

            <xsd:annotation>
                <xsd:documentation>
                   This free-form extension may
                   include additional,
                   namespace-qualified XML.
                 </xsd:documentation>
             </xsd:annotation>
        </xsd:any>
     </sequence>
  </complexType>
</element>

I'd also make the following changes:
3. Change xri element to xriaddress element with a cxhild xri element,
and add an xsd:any within the xriaddress element, allowing metadata
about the xri address itself.
4. Add an xdi:resource element with minOccurs 0,maxOccurs unbounded to
the xdi:data def
5. Add an xsd:any w/ namespacxe other, maxOccurs unbounds, min
unbounded to the xdi:data def

This would bring the schema to:

<schema
   targetNamespace="http://xdi.oasis-open.org";
   elementFormDefault="qualified"
   xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
   xmlns:xdi="http://xdi.oasis-open.org";

   <element name="resource">
      <complexType>
         <sequence>
            <element
               ref="xdi:addressing" />
               <!-- Note:default minOccurs and maxOccurs is 1 -->
             <element
                ref="xdi:data"
                minOccurs="0" />
             <element
                ref="xdi:resource"
                minOccurs="0"
                maxOccurs="unbounded" />
             <any
                namespace="##other"
                processContents="lax"
                minOccurs="0"
                maxOccurs="unbounded"

                <annotation>
                   <documentation>
                      This free-form extension may
                      include additional,
                      namespace-qualified XML.
                   </documentation>
                </annotation>
             </any>
         </sequence>
      </complexType>
   </element>

   <element name="addressing">
      <complexType>
         <sequence>
            <element
               ref="xdi:xriaddress"
               maxOccurs="unbounded" />
            <xsd:any
               namespace="##other"
               processContents="lax"
               minOccurs="0"
               maxOccurs="unbounded"

               <annotation>
                  <documentation>
                      This free-form extension may
                      include additional,
                      namespace-qualified XML.
                  </documentation>
               </annotation>
            </any>
         </sequence>
      </complexType>
   </element>

   <element name="xriaddress">
      <complexType>
         <sequence>
            <element
               ref="xdi:xri"
               maxOccurs="unbounded" />
            <xsd:any
               namespace="##other"
               processContents="lax"
               minOccurs="0"
               maxOccurs="unbounded"

               <annotation>
                  <documentation>
                      This free-form extension may
                      include additional,
                      namespace-qualified XML.
                  </documentation>
               </annotation>
            </any>
         </sequence>
      </complexType>
   </element>

   <element name="xri">
     <simpleType>
        <restriction base="string">
            <annotation>
               <documentation>
                   This element definition may be enhanced
                   to include an XML pattern element matching
                   the XRI ABNF, so a standard XML schema
                   validating parser will be able to validate
                   that an XRI value is legal.
               </documentation>
            </annotation>
         </restriction>
      </simpleType>
   </element>

   <element name="data">
      <complexType mixed="true">
         <sequence>
            <any
                minOccurs="0"
                maxOccurs="unbounded" />
         </sequence>
      </complexType>
   </element>
</schema>

Some or all of the above pts may have been discussed and decided
against while I was in the hospital, if so sorry for beating a dead
parrot.

If there's no consensus after tonight's meeting (if everyone agrees to
V7 as it is then I've no problems with that, but I do think the above
will increase  flexibility, implementation, and adoption), then perhaps
a matrix could be distributed that maps elements and the options for
the schema. That matrix could be filled out with +1/-1/0 and the
winning set of features captured into a schema?

Bill