xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Groups - draft-xdi-metaschema-v7.xsd uploaded

Bill,

I apologize for taking so long to reply to this - you put a lot of good work
into this. It's just been crazy getting ready for Digital ID World next week
and the launch of the first XRI services by Identity Commons.

Quick replies to your two key points:

1) WRT extensibility, it was a conscious decision to make the "Data" element
the point at which the "Any" sequence was allowed. The purpose was to keep
the Resource tree clean. Think of it like branches and leaves. The branches
(Resources) stay smooth and lean, but the Data nodes can spread out and
contain anything.

2) WRT a more generic container for XRIs, I can see both approaches. Most of
the benefits you describe can be provided without modifying the v7
metaschema by defining an "$xri" resource in the XDI service dictionary.
This resource would allow any other resource to describe (to any depth of
complexity or granularity) the XRIs that identify the resource. Example:

<resource>
	<xri>foo</xri>
	<xri>bar</xri>
	<resource>
		<xri>$xri</xri>
		<resource>
			<xri>foo</xri>
			<data>This is the primary name to use.</data>
		</resource>
		<resource>
			<xri>bar</xri>
			<data>This is an old name still sometimes
used.</data>
		</resource>
	</resource>
</resource>

I trust with your new baby you're not going to be at Digital ID World next
week, but will you be able to join one of the two f2f sessions via telecon?
It would be great as I'm sure we'll be discussing this in depth.

Best,

=Drummond