xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] Re: XDI subjects (was Groups - XDI RDF v8 Comments-Barnhill)

Kermit, I agree with you that RDF itself doesn't allow literals as subjects
(why they made that decision is a topic we'll put out of scope for now).
However I doesn't make sense to me that the "proper XDI mapping" of the HTML
link...

	Blah blah <a href="http://example.com/some/target";>some literal text
here</a> blah blah

...would be:

	XDI subject = "http://example.com/some/target";
	XDI predicate = $html$a
	XDI object = "some literal text here"

The reason is that I don't think that's the actual RDF graph being
expressed. An HTML link embedded in one page pointing to another Web page
would be the following graph:

     ----------------------                  -----------------------
     |   HTML link text   |     ======>      |      Target page    |
     ----------------------                  -----------------------
          RDF subject         RDF predicate         RDF object

That would map to:

	XDI object = "some literal text here"
	XDI predicate = $uri
	XDI subject = "http://example.com/some/target";

However, building on Markus' suggestion, it does appear that there is a
clean way to express this so that it does not force us to have a literal as
an XDI subject. In X3 Simple, it would be the following:

	$
		$type$xsd$string
			"some literal text here"
		$uri
			"http://example.com/some/target";

This especially makes sense since "$" by itself represents the self-context
-- literally, "here and now", which is what every HTML link actually
represents -- a link from the point where you see the link to the target
resource. So in English-pseudo-X3 this would translate to something like:

	In the current context
		the text
			"some literal text here"
		has the URI
			"http://example.com/some/target";

That completely solves the problem. We still get unambiguous HTML-to-XDI-RDF
translation of any HTML link together with the ability to extend the
semantics of the link as we discussed earlier in the thread. So a corrected
example of such a "rich XDI link" we discussed earlier in the thread would
be:

	Blah blah [$[$type$xsd$string["some literal text here"]
[$uri["http://example.com/some/target";]]
	[$uri$https["https://example.com/some/target";]]
	[$is[@!F83.62B1.44F.2813!1234]] blah blah

=Drummond