xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] $has semantics continued

To that end, #2 in both of Drummond's examples should I think be =bill+car and +hinge+screw. I don't understand the #3 examples, can you explain them more, i.e. what are you trying to show with the resolution equivalence?

My thought is that we have 3 types of relationships: meta (X makes statement Y), containment (X has Y), and composition (the Y of X). Does that sound right to everyone, am I missing any?

I need to give this more thought when I have time later.

Kind regards,

Bill Barnhill
Booz Allen Hamilton - Rome, NY
315-330-7386  | william.barnhill.ctr@rl.af.mil | barnhill_william@bah.com
From: drummond.reed@gmail.com [drummond.reed@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Drummond Reed [drummond.reed@xdi.org]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 4:59 AM
To: OASIS - XDI TC
Subject: [xdi] $has semantics continued

Giovanni,

In preparing the minutes about our conversation on the call today, which was excellent, I realized there is a more elegant way of capturing the semantics of "Bill's car" that we were discussing.

Here's a quick summary:

     ENGLISH                                             XDI
1)  Bill has a car                                      =bill/+car
2)  Bill’s car                                            =bill(+car)
3)  Bill has car  == Bill car                       (=bill/+car)  ==  =bill+car

Here's a second example:

1)  hinge has a screw                               +hinge/+screw
2)  hinge’s screw                                     +hinge(+screw)
3)  hinge has screw == hinge screw          (+hinge/+screw)  ==  +hinge+screw

I think this illustrates: a) your point that all three are different concepts (and that we needed a distinct way to express "Bill's car" or "hinge's screw", which I did not understand), and b) my point that in each line 3 above, the two statements have both logical and resolution equivalence.

What's even more illustrative is that this three patterns each have their corresponding cell graphs. If you look at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35926/xdi-rdf-cell-graphs-v3.pdf, example 1 correspond to graph A4, example 2 corresponds to graph A7, and example 3 corresponds to graph B1.

I look forward to talking tomorrow.

=Drummond